Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Birth Story

I wanted to have this in writing so I don't forget any details. Here is the birth story of my daughter. She was born at 36 weeks.

At 5am on the 24th I was kinda starting to wake up to take a pee break when I started to go, I tried to hold it and I couldn't and I immediately realized it was not urine. I jumped up and ran to the bathroom. I leaked a lot of fluid and continued to. I hollared at my husband and we just kinda stared at each other in shock. I called my mom and told her and she told me to go to the hospital, I told her I would call the dr. so I called and paged the emergency number. I didn't think I was having contractions but when I thought about it I was getting slight gas pains for 30 seconds 5 min apart. I decided I wanted to take a shower and shave my legs. And I couldn't find one damn list with instructions on what to pack. An on call Dr called back and said if my water broke I should go to the hospital immediately. I really wasn't sure if I should wait or not, because I didn't want to go too early. We stopped and DH ran in a place to get us some food. We didn't get to the hospital until 7 even though its 5 minutes away. We had the hardest time functioning I have never felt in such a stupor..


The L&D called my Dr and he wanted them to put me on pitocin because she was 4 weeks early and my water broke they didn't want her sitting in there if something was wrong. The contractions went from slight gas pains..to strong gas pains, to a muscle cramp/ period cramp pain that got stronger and stronger. ( I'm going to kinda sum up this part, but if anyone has specific questions i'm more than happy to ask. ) Zack and my mom were in the room with me, I needed them there to get me through it and I am comfortable enough to say what I am feeling to them without feeling bad about it. I didn't want anyone else to come up to the hospital until after the baby was born, because I needed that time to meet and bond with her. At 3cm I decided to get the Stadol, it didn't not make the pain any better but it made it hard for me to continued with the scattered all over the place thoughts and so I just had to close my eyes and focus on breathing, which was a huge help! It also helped me relax a lot apparently because I progressed within that hour from a 7. I did not want to get the epidural and i am really happy I didn't. I was able to change positions, and feel and get up easily afterwards. I delivered her at 12:48pm, when they let me push I pushed her completely out in one push. It was a weird feeling I could feel everything like her head and shoulders, and I could tell I tore(not too badly I'm told) but I didn't feel pain from it. The last hour was AWFUL, but I am lucky it was so short.


She was born 5lbs 15oz and 19 3/4 inches long. She came out SCREAMING and got an 8 and then 9 on her apgar. For being early she is perfect, because she is small we have to make sure she stays warm enough, but that is it! They kept us in the hospital for 48 hours just because she was early. I was glad to be there, it was really nice and the nurses were wonderful. (a few days later.. we are having to keep an eye on her Jaundice that has gotten pretty high, but it came down a little from yesterday)

So without further adeiu....


Katelyn Oriana

I love her more than anything :)

2 comments:

T * R * B said...

Aww I didn't know you wrote this awww I love it.

JRo said...

I was shocked to see how early she was. How exciting to not have to over think it. I always over think things, and I had plenty of time for that. Mine was almost a week late! ha!

She is beautiful!